CONNECT with us

English as an Additional Language Provision

DBIS extends support for students who are new to English across the age range of the school. 

Based on an individual child’s need, support is offered both in class and in English as an Additional Language (EAL) lessons.  The EAL programme at DBIS recognises that children who are new to English need to be able to make friends and keep up with their learning across the curriculum in a new language that may differ greatly from their own.  As such, our support programme aims to equip students with the language they need to form social bonds and the vocabulary they need to flourish in all areas of academic life.

Our support of EAL learners takes a communicative approach, recognising that children acquire language rapidly in a supportive and motivating environment.  Aside from scheduled support sessions, our older students are able to take advantage of drop in sessions for help and advice with more challenging academic content.

Students with an identified EAL need are set inter-disciplinary targets that focus on communication and the language they need to excel in all subject areas.  Progress towards these goals is regularly reviewed through an online learning journal of work from across the curriculum that students choose to share.