CONNECT with us
Project Based Learning

Project Based Learning

Project Based Learning

Project Based Learning

“Project Based Learning is a teaching method in which students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to a complex question, problem, or challenge” (Buck Institute of Education).

At DBIS, our enquiry approach to learning is enhanced and enriched by a programme of project based learning in Key Stage 3. Students use the four 21st Century competencies of communication, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication (4Cs) to gain a deeper understanding of an area of study. Our Discovery programme is unique to DBIS and involves all students working independently and more often in small groups to answer a driving question over an extended period of time. Projects are interdisciplinary, drawing on knowledge from two or more subjects to carry out a comprehensive study in an area of interest.

Projects completed in the past include a study of what constitutes a hero in today’s society, the effect an Avian Flu outbreak would have in Discovery Bay, and whether Hong Kong could host the Football World Cup. Projects are often delivered to multiple year groups and involve staff ‘mentors’ to assist in the process of learning. Project based learning is about the ‘main course’ (process), not the ‘desert’ (outcome) and offers students the chance to problem solve and take risks in an environment that encourages a trial and error approach to learning.