CONNECT with us

Physical Education

Physical Education

Physical Education

Physical Education is a compulsory and core part of the Secondary curriculum.

Students take part in physical education lessons three times per 10 day cycle in Years 7 - 11 and once per week in year 12. Physical Education is also offered as an iGSCE and an A Level subject for those students wishing to pursue studies in the field of sports science.

During Key Stage 3, students develop competence and confidence in a range of physical activities that focus on a full array of gross and fine motor skills and fitness components. Students develop a wide range of skills and the ability to use tactics, strategies and compositional ideas to perform successfully. When performing, students think about their technique and movements, then analyse the actions and environment and make decisions under pressure. Students are also required to reflect on their own and others’ performances
and find ways to improve them.

Core physical education at Key Stages 4 and 5 (in Years 10, 11 and 12) is centred around continued skill development, healthy lifestyles, and fitness progression. Those who select physical education as an iGCSE or an A Level course, will experience both practical and theory lessons learning about the relationship between physical activity, anatomy, and physiology as well as applying theoretical knowledge to practical performances.