CONNECT with us
English & Humanities

English & Humanities

English & Humanities

English & Humanities

At DBIS Secondary, we are proud of the humanities provision.

In Year 7 students are taught Humanities, which focuses predominantly on a combination of geography, history and religion. In years 8 and 9 students will study both geography and history for a compulsory two hours per week.

Geography concentrates on making sense of the world and environment around us: what sustains our world, what shapes it, and what influence we as humans have upon it. The subject is keen to focus on current issues of the day, from typhoons and climate change to the population growth around the world. Geography is concerned with what is happening to us, today.

Work in the classroom is supported by numerous field trips and extracurricular support clubs that enables students to experience, first-hand, the significance of geography in the real world.

History takes students beyond the classroom with visits to sites of historical significance such as visiting the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence. In addition, students access a vast range of historical archives. The History department also welcomes outside speakers to share their incredible experiences and provide invaluable insight to many fascinating and extraordinary lives and events. History also welcomes students to attend after school extra-curricular support clubs.

All students take English Language and English Literature at IGCSE with a small number of students offered English as a Second Language. Reading is crucial to the development of creative, informed and independent thinking. Students study a wide range of texts from key works by classic and contemporary authors, poets and playwrights to contemporary writing and world literature. Writing is equally important for precise, imaginative and confident self-expression. As well as to regular debates, discussions, play-readings and talks. The English department provides numerous extra curricular opportunities to help support students with their English skills development. Outside of the classroom, DBIS aims to provide opportunities for students to visit literary speakers such as fiction authors organised by the department.