CONNECT with us
Computer Science & Design Technology

Computer Science & Design Technology

Computer Science & Design Technology

Computer Science & Design Technology

In Secondary School students are introduced to Design and Technology and Computer Science, preparing them for the challenge of an ever changing world.

The Computer Science department provides students with essential skills which will become an increasingly essential aspect of many professions, and our lives in general. 

Computer Science is more rigorous and fundamental than ICT, which came before it, Computer Science focuses on how computers work and the science which underpins this. ICT is still taught as a part of Computer Science but there is a much heavier focus on fundamental theory such as binary, programming and logic. Computational Thinking is also a very important addition to the Computer Science curriculum, this encompasses several thinking skills, Decomposition, Abstraction, Pattern Recognition and Algorithm Development, which are fundamental to problem solving in all subjects not just Computer Science. Programming now features more prominently in the computer science curriculum and at DBIS pupils will learn the basics of programming through visual programming languages and progress onto programming solutions to complex, varied and interesting problems using Python. 

It’s a certainty that as we progress in this modern world that computing’s importance will continue to increase, therefore Computer Science is becoming an increasingly foundational and essential subject for all. As such Computer Science is compulsory until Y9 when pupils can choose to continue their education in Computing through an Edexcel Computer Science iGCSE. Year 12 and 13 can now also for the first time at DBIS study Computer Science to A-level standard, taking the subject to new and interesting places and becoming real experts in the field. A Computer Science A-level will stand pupils in good stead to continue their Computing education at university, but will also be invaluable to those who would like to study other subjects.

Design and Technology teaches students about material science and processes involved to design and develop ideas into products. We encourage students to look at the world differently, enabling learners to identify and solve problems through creative thinking. Students gain technical and design awareness as a result, and develop skills such as initiative, resourcefulness, enquiry and ingenuity. They also develop the communication skills central to design, making and evaluation. Design and Technology provides an ideal basis for further study and prepares learners for their future within a rapidly changing technological society.

In Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9, students are taught Design and Technology once a week. Students are taught the design process - understanding the importance of creating a range of ideas, developing them both by drawing and modelling to a final solution. Students are introduced to the different tools and machines needed to work materials available to them, so they are prepared to design with these at a later stage.

At GCSE in Year 10 and Year 11, students explore creative thinking and look at solving design problems that people face. Students at the end of year 10 will begin a coursework portfolio and manufacture a product to solve a design problem. Students will also complete 2 exam papers on the Design cycle and knowledge taught throughout the course.

At AS and A Level, Students are taught to a higher level of design thinking. Students will explore potential design problems and apply taught knowledge of Materials, CAD CAM to produce a complete product that can be mass produced. After term 1, AS Level students will begin an internal coursework exam to a given design brief and complete a written exam. A level Students, will begin an internal coursework exam to solve a chosen design brief after Term 1 of year 13 and complete a written exam.