CONNECT with us

Creative Arts

Creative Arts

Creative Arts

DBIS prides itself on the wide range of extra-curricular creative arts activities on offer to Primary students.

The inspirational specialist music, dance, drama and art teachers deliver a diverse programme which is supported by the peripatetic music teachers to ensure our students have the opportunity to develop their instrumental and performance skills as well as facilitating their creative and social development.

Orchestra, samba drumming and ukulele are just some of the fantastic music clubs on offer within the Primary School. There is also the opportunity for students to form their own rock bands with the opportunity to compete in our annual Battle of the Bands. The extra-curricular programme provides many opportunities for our Primary and Secondary students to work collaboratively which facilitates important cross school links. Our younger primary students are able to attend recorder and singing clubs.

Drama and Dance play a significant part in school life facilitating students’ social, creative and intellectual development. As well as extra-curricular clubs which specifically focus on drama and dance, students also have the opportunity to perform in a production in Years 1, 3 and 5. These are significant events on our school calendar which not only meet many of the speaking and listening curriculum objectives but also allow students to develop their acting, singing and dancing skills. Our shows are heavily supported by the music department who collaborate with class teachers to ensure all productions are spectacular events. The role of our parent community is crucial in our productions in ensuring costumes, make-up and props are of outstanding quality.

Art is an essential part of our broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum. It is the formation and expression of ideas through the reality of materials and has a significant role to play in the student’s personal growth. At DBIS Art is not seen as a stand alone subject; it is fully integrated into the curriculum, through our International Primary Curriculum (IPC) which run across the all years in the Primary School.

There are an array of exciting performance opportunities for our students to show-case their skills throughout the academic year. Orchestra Day, Carols on the Pitch, the International Food Fair, Assemblies and Musical Soirees are just some of the prestigious events on the school calendar. DBIS also participates in a number of international music and performing arts festivals through our involvement with FOBISIA.