CONNECT with us
Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

We have been consistently delighted to traverse the Primary School classrooms and feel the buzz of learning and teaching throughout.

Teaching and Learning Gatehouse Inspection Report 2013

Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

In the Primary school students are taught writing and reading, personal social and health education (PSHSE) and the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) by their class teacher.

There is specialist teaching in mathematics, art, music, Mandarin Chinese, physical education and ICT. Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 of the English National Curriculum is used as the main framework in our Primary School.

The IPC is a comprehensive, thematic, creative curriculum for 3-11 year olds, with a clear process of learning and with specific learning goals for every subject, for international mindedness and for personal learning. It is an approach that helps to prepare students for the future by ensuring that they develop critical thinking skills, leadership skills, personal skills, ICT skills and environmental awareness through a rigorous curriculum. As is the case in the Early Years, there is a strong emphasis on, and high expectations of our students in mathematics, reading and writing.

Every year, students in year 5 and 6 go away on residential camps, under canvas or in youth hostels or hotels. All trips compliment the curriculum and introduce children to new situations and challenges. Our Primary campus caters for students from Year 1 to Year 6. There are 4 classes in each year group. Class numbers are carefully monitored so that appropriate student teacher ratios are maintained at an optimum number of 1 teacher to 24 students. Along with the provision of class teachers, education assistants have been appointed to assist in the classrooms and in a range of other areas of the school. 

related events