CONNECT with us
Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

It has been a pleasure to visit classroom environments which are, without exception, providing inviting and richly creative play/learning spaces alongside appropriate high quality resources which are clearly labelled and accessible by the students.

Kindergarten Gatehouse Inspection Report 2013

Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum is the starting point for the DBIS approach to learning.

Early Years teachers inspire children to learn through dynamic activities in a caring and enabling environment. This is characterised by a full day school experience, child led activities, a varied and balanced curriculum, individual care and attention, and a happy and caring atmosphere. Teachers recognise the importance of self-direct play and balance this with adult initiated activities that focus on the individual needs of the children.

Our Early Years section of the school is located on a distinct campus and caters for both Nursery and Reception students. We currently have 5 nursery classes and 5 reception classes.

Each class comprises of 20 students, one teacher and one full time educational assistant. The Early Years facilities are spacious and welcoming. They include an engaging outside play area with delightful grounds, purpose built classrooms, a library, a music room, a computer suite and an indoor reception room. We aim to provide the best learning opportunities in a stimulating and nurturing environment.

Specialist teachers in the Early Years are provided in the areas of physical education, music, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Mandarin Chinese. We assess learning and development through frequent observation and evidence of student’s work. Each student has an electronic learning journal that is used to evidence and reflect upon his or her progress. Crucially, the Early Years team ensures that parents are welcomed and encouraged to be part of their child’s educational experience.