CONNECT with us
Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

The Leadership and Management strategies at DBIS are now of the highest quality and depth comparable to many schools that we visit and far in advance of most.

Leadership and Management Gatehouse Inspection Report 2013

Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

The Secondary school’s distinction lies in the emphasis placed upon small class sizes, a personalised approach to student learning, and the pursuit of creativity and innovation.

Secondary school teachers know their students well and are able to individualise their support and programmes according to the needs of each student.

The Secondary school provides a broad and balanced curriculum based on the National Curriculum of England and tailored to meet the needs of international students based in Hong Kong. The curriculum and our approach to teaching and learning seeks to ensure that students develop a range of essential thinking skills, knowledge of key concepts, and crucially, an aptitude for continuous learning.

Students in years 7, 8 and 9 access a range of subjects which include English, mathematics, languages (Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and French), science, humanities, design technology, creative arts, computing and physical education.

In years 10 and 11 students complete examinations in a range of subjects leading to the award of International General Certificates of Secondary Education (IGCSE), externally accredited and internationally recognised qualifications. Typically, students at DBIS will complete examinations in 7 or 8 subject areas.

Students in Year 12 and 13 will pursue an AS/A Level qualification with students typically studying four subjects in Year 12 and continuing with three subjects into Year 13. Alongside this students will complete the Extended Project Qualification as a chance to further explore an area of personal passion.