CONNECT with us
Head of Secondary Welcome

Head of Secondary Welcome

The standard of learning is in part due to the quality of relationships between students and adults, creating a vibrant,inclusive, respectful and enjoyable atmosphere.

Teaching and Learning Gatehouse Inspection Report 2013

Head of Secondary Welcome

Head of Secondary Welcome

DBIS is a unique school and seeing it in action will leave you in no doubt about the caring nature of the students and the drive they have to achieve their potential. 

The level of guidance and care that is offered to each student is impressive and reflects the nature of a school that strives to support individuals in reaching their potential.

DBIS Secondary School offers a rounded education, where students are encouraged to explore the world around them and are challenged to push their own boundaries. Underpinning this is an excellent system of Pastoral Care, where a single tutor supports students throughout their time in the secondary phase. As well as having an overview of a whole tutor group, each tutor conducts regular one to one meetings with students in their care to ensure they are reaching their potential.

Our Key Stage 3 curriculum provides the building blocks for academic success. Students are taught in small classes where they are recognised as individual learners and encouraged to take an inquisitive view of the world around them. This is supported through a 1-1 iPad scheme, giving students the chance to learn skills that will support them in a rapidly changing world and prepare them for Key Stage 4. Our Year 10 and 11 students are offered a range of options to study, culminating in (I)GCSE qualifications.

We are excited to begin offering an AS/A Level course of study from August 2017, allowing students to complete their education journey with us. We also encourage applications from prospective students who wish to pursue their last school years with us. Classes will take place on both the current campus as well as at our new campus that will feature purpose built facilities for senior students. The range of sujects will allow students to follow their chosen pathways into higher education. A feature of the Senior School will be small class sizes, where students are supported as individuals.

The school has excellent resources to support students in their activities away from the classroom. The Globe Theatre is often in use for a range of creative arts pursuits, while specialist music and design technology suites offer students an impressive array of resources. A 25-metre swimming pool, as well as our own multi-purpose turf, support the Sports programme.

A key part of the education at DBIS are the values we instil in the young people in our care. As such, our Values, Mission and Aims represent what we, as a community, aspire to achieve. Through this we believe we are developing young people to help them meet both the demands of modern education and life beyond school.

I warmly invite any current or prospective parents and students to come and see Discovery Bay International School in action.

Mike Waller
Head of Secondary